Kool Skools promotes, develops and supports a diverse range of talent and all genres of contemporary music through Australian Secondary Schools. In 2014 Kool Skools will run its 18th year hosting the most inspiring songwriting and recording project available for young people! This is the year that will see the project come of age and be ramped up like never before towards its 3rd decade of success.
“I’m a HUGE fan of the project. Real recording experiences you wouldn’t normally get the chance to be part of. This years’ students said it was the coolest thing they have ever done!” ben salvador Heathdale Christian College
Every school or council from the 2013 project has already signed up again for 2014 and two schools will incredibly be celebrating their 18th student album with us. On top of that we are already gaining many more enquiries and applications from returning schools and new schools. Over the past 17 years over 150 schools and City Councils have participated from Victoria alone. The project has run in all states of Australia except the NT but currently runs in Victoria, NSW and the ACT.
Kool Skools is all about songwriting and making original music. Each year students aged between 13-18 write and record around 350 songs and the amazing thing is that they get to choose the style and genre and are encouraged to vent their thoughts and feelings through words and music without controls from parents or teachers. It is truly a project which is owned by the young people who participate. It’s authenticity is also its reason for success and longevity.
“kool skools has launched the careers of many of our music students including missy higgins and axle whitehead”. paul retke Geelong Grammar School
Most other projects and TV music shows are usually competitions that pit singers against each other, performing songs they didn’t even write. Kool Skools is completely different. In contrast our project is all about the recognising of talent and the development of songwriting skills. We want to celebrate and encourage everyone involved not just ‘winners’. Rather than comparing a bunch of people doing the same thing we try to showcase the diversity and difference each group of acts bring. For many young people it’s the first time they get to showcase what’s special about them and for many parents the first time they get to witness what their kids are trying to say and do through music.
Overall, Kool Skools is a true grass-roots songwriting project that appeals to young people and celebrates their achievements within the greater community. The project offers the added benefits of schooling students in the recording, promotion and marketing of music, an education that assists them with any future business or project based activity.
“kool skools was incredible experience. it created teamwork musically but also pulled everything together across campuses, year levels, ethnicities and backgrounds. from year to year the ‘legend’ of the experience of doing kool skools keeps the students focused and creative.” helen jensen Copperfield College
To be part of Kool Skools there is no formal audition process. Kool Skools is not a competition. You can REGISTER NOW for 2014 buy calling 03-9417-7707 or emailing us on the contact page or direct to the project coordinator, Paul Higgins at firstname.lastname@example.org Or 0412-686-252
General Criteria to be involved in Kool Skools:
• Must have support from your school or a youth entity such as a council youth centre or youth association
• Your project must have a 100% contemporary music focus
• Your music content to be recorded can be of a single music genre such as Rock, Jazz or HipHop but diversity of genres is recommended, most projects are made up of several different groups from with different music styles as a compilation album representing the whole school.
• Generally projects are preferred to include more than just one group but can vary from 1-8 groups in any one project
• At least 50% of music recorded must be original written by the students
• All, or most people involved in the project should be of school age up to 19yo. (call Studio 52 to discuss any exceptions to this)
• Any people who are involved who are above the age limit will not be eligible to be judged or receive awards. (except in some instances, ‘special individual awards’)
• Each project must be recorded at either Studio 52 in Melbourne or Music Feeds Studios in Sydney
• Along with recording, each project involves making a short video, doing the CD artwork and we recommend that each school or council write and promote a Media release about their project
• Artists need to attend the Awards Nights and be able to perform live if invited to perform at the end of year Awards showcases, generally acts only perform 1 song as the Award Nights feature up to 23 different acts on stage
• Participants from each project need to support and attend their State Award Night held in Sydney and Melbourne, usually middle to late November each year • There is a cost to do the project however this is highly subsidised thanks to the sponsors involved each year. The one-off cost includes the access to recording studios and multimedia along with 450 copies of the final CD (from 500 produced) and up to 30 tickets to the State Awards Night. Please contact the Kool Skools office directly for more details, call Paul Higgins on 03-9417-7707 ext 2 or 0412686252.